Friday, September 27, 2013

Projects

So after a winter of painting every surface in our house, I had no choice but to break free of the walls and dig up the yard for a kickass garden. The result has been jaw-dropping. It was an amazing year for gardens. And mosquitoes. And floods. And train derailments. And hot fall weather.
So we got so many tomatoes, and such big ones, we're rushing to pick and cook 'em faster than we can manage!

Over the summer, we did a few other things.
1. Porch.
What started out innocently removing a few steps on the porch to see what was underneath turned into an entire rebuild of our stairs and landing to the house. Complete with Justin working underneath a 1/2 ton porch roof with me standing guard to pull him out if it collapsed. Stress.

2. Destruct-or
We tore apart the back ...deck? porch? Don't know what the thing was, but it's gone now. This was to prep for the addition. Underneath was a nice concrete pad that we've been enjoying actually. But soon to be a bathroom/mudroom.

3. Apply for an addition.
Initially we didn't need a fullout Development Permit (meaning huge lists of requirements, 4-10 weeks of waiting, more money for the application, community consulting, etc) for our addition. However, because our property is 3/4 in the floodplain, ultimately even a simple fence or deck would require a fullout DP. Ridonculous, yes. Luckily I knew all the contacts from the alderman's office to the Community Business Revitalization Zone officer (okay, I actually ran into her at the bakery!) and we expedited the permit. It's "in advertising" (literally, it's in the paper!) and in a week we should be able to close that, get the Building Permit and start building this sucka. I can't believe it's actually happening!

4. Hire Heritage Assessment peeps.
 I don't know what they call themselves, but they're kickass cool ladies who come by, look at your old house, then determine what was original, help you replace things that are missing, etc. They aren't cheap, but I love them and I think they are worth every penny. I'm still waiting on the report (and final bill) but I've already learned a few things about my house. Namely, it's NOT 100-years old! Built likely in 1921. There was an old shack basically prior to that that predates 1900, but can't be considered the same house, probably for the best. I'm happy because I like 20s decor way more. The art deco and the glass. Mucho nicer and fancier/classier. Though the house is still Victorian, but I won't feel guilty for not sticking entirely to the ornateness of Victorian decor if I want to get some lighting fixtures and such.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here's where you give me insight and feedback. I dare you....!