Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Down with Trees!

Little Big House (LBH) has 3 huge spruce trees in front of her.

I think this photo is more than a few years old since my neighbour's lovely infill isn't there (to the left). I think the trees are even bigger now.

She faces North, so these trees are definitely blocking her view. From my extensive research on LBH, I know that she was probably built by Russian immigrants who came to Canada to escape religious persecution, and worked as labourers. I think there was either a strong lack of women involved in the home, or maybe they made it knowing it would be a boarding house, but either way, she isn't a "pretty thang" is she? The front dormer upstairs has the original diffuse glass, hand-made. It's stunning to look out through those panes. I would love to have those trees minimized for a few reasons.
1. Light, first and foremost. There are two main floor windows being blocked.
2. Space. I want as much garden as I can possibly build.
3. Curb appeal. Now, I am not a big fan of tree removal for aesthetic reasons, but sometimes you need to be honest with yourself. They don't add anything. That said, I would love to at least leave the stumps, to create some niches ecologically in the yard for bugs and birds.

Otherwise, the house is covered in vinyl. It would be a treat to uncover original wood siding and keep that up, but I know it's not a realistic goal right now.
The chain link remains only in the front, with the sides gone. So a phantom chain link fence. Yep, another thing to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here's where you give me insight and feedback. I dare you....!